Spring is here and now is the time to get motivated!
It’s time to make those lifestyle changes that will allow us to be more active and enjoy life to its fullest.
For many people, at this time of year losing those unwanted kilos that were gained over winter can be the primary focus.
As a trainer I see many people who come into the gym wanting a quick fix and quick results to achieve weight loss, but the reality is that there isn’t a quick fix to obtaining results.
Making permanent changes requires hard work, commitment and dedication.
It can take time, but the end result will be worth it.
Not only can you improve the quality and length of your life, but your self-esteem can also grow immensely from the accomplishment and reward of achieving your goal.
Tips for creating permanent weight loss:
- If you want to make permanent changes it is important to pay attention to both nutrition and exercise in your daily routine.
- It is primarily 80 percent nutrition and 20 percent exercise. Making your nutritional choices a primary focus will give you the best opportunity for success.
- Spring is the perfect time to work on healthier options as there is so much fresh produce available — salads and fresh fruit come into season and are readily available.
- Limit sugar and processed foods which contain hidden sugars to assist weight loss.
- Make sure that you control portion sizes — eating from a smaller plate or bowl will help to control the amount of food you consume.
- Exercise alone can reduce your body by one dress size and it can tone and reshape your body, helping to put all the curves in the right places.
- Exercise builds lean muscle and the more lean muscle we have, the faster our metabolism works.
- Keep moving throughout the day by increasing incidental exercise — get up from your office chair and move around, take the stairs, etc.
- Make sure that your energy output through the day is greater than your energy input; this is a significant factor in weight loss.
- We all want to lose those few extra kilos and sometimes resort to extreme unhealthy measures which can often lead to weight gain.
This time, think healthy lifestyle change instead and create permanent changes that will lead to a healthier you for summer.
Implementing these new changes in your routine will not only help to revitalise you, but will ultimately make you happier.